Has anything changed in John's pitching to account for this return to... "ok-ness"? No, not really.
- He still doesn't strike out anyone. His 3.14 K/9 is 3rd worst among qualified pitchers, and has actually dropped in May.
- He still walks too many. His 4.81 BB/9 is the 5th worst among qualified pitchers, although that is at least trending downward (from 4.88 to 4.71)
- He still gives up too many hits. The .297 BA he gives up is in the Bottom 20 of qualified pitchers.
- He is still getting crushed by lefties. .438 /.481 / .646
- On the bright side, he still holds righties to no power. .255 / .353 / .400
And yet instead of pitching himself out of baseball, he's still doing ok enough to stay in the rotation, and outside of two horrible games is tossing very Lannan-like baseball. Remove Opening Day and May 2nd (where he gave up 5 of his 14 XBHs to righties) and you've got a guy who's thrown 40 innings of around 4.30 ERA ball. You have to count those two games, as I always say "they did happen", but more often than not Lannan has been getting away with the same things he's been getting away with the past 2 + years.