- The Nats did what a good team needed to do at home when playing two ok teams. They won both series and ended the brief homestand 4-2. So far this year they've done everything they needed to time after time. Next up is the Pirates and Reds. We'll look at it more closely tomorrow but 3-3 seems about right, though you could convince me of 4-2.
- Werth went down with a broken hand and is basically out until the All-Star break. It's a tough blow for the Nats but with Zimmerman and LaRoche coming back (we assume) this week, it puts the Nats back exactly where they have been all year. Trying to survive by pitching until the whole team is together. So far this hasn't been an issue and coming up they have 7 of 10 games against the two worst scoring teams in the league (PIT, SD).
- The schedule has been very kind to the Nats. The Braves, Cardinals, and Dodgers are the other best teams in the NL The Nats have played 3 games total versus these teams and don't play another until May is almost over. The Braves, Cardinals, and Rockies are the best offensive teams in the NL by far. The Nats have played 0 games total versus these teams and don't play another until May is almost over. After the next 10 games, things will get tougher for the Nats. That's the next goal, I see. Be first going into the Orioles series.
- Sometimes it's better to be lucky - The Nats offense survived the last week by getting hot stretches from Desmond, Lombardozzi, Ankiel, and Tracy. That wasn't going to keep happening, but with LaRoche and Zimmerman coming back wer're assuming it won't have to.
- The homers finally started to come for the opposition. 4 in the last week off the starters when it was something like 4 total going into the series. Pitching is still good enough so that these fallng now aren't going to make the difference between wins and losses, only incredible ERAs and very good ones.
- The Nats may in fact have the same weakness as most other teams. A soft underbelly of mediocre middle relief pitching. Of course with the starters pitching strong it's not much of an issue. They really only have to get to the 7th for the strong back of the pen to take over.