Nationals Baseball: Reworking "Future Hall of Famer" list

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Reworking "Future Hall of Famer" list

MLB.com put out a future Hall of Famer list that generated some interested conversation. Everyone felt the list was far too deep in that there aren't 40 guys with a legit shot at the Hall active today. Others felt that it was FAR FAR FAR too deep and the list ended with maybe 7-8 guys.  So as a public service I'm going to rework the list. First the no-work part

The absolute no-doubt tier

Albert Pujols, Mike Trout

These are the guys that if they retired today they are in first ballot and no one is thinking about it. There would be a couple snide remarks about Pujols' falling off a cliff and Trout's lack of post-season success but what's there is there and can't be denied 

The gonna get in but enough will vote against 

Miggy, Kershaw, Scherzer, VERLANDER

These guys all have had runs of dominance which spell HoF.  Miggy and Kershaw will probably end up with close to the numbers people like to see (3000 hits for Miggy, Kershaw at 250+ wins). Max won't get there but a 3 Cy Youngs and a Top 5 vote seven years in a row is definitely worthy. Still someone will poke holes - Miggy with the terrible back end. Kershaw with his post-season travails. Max with no career numbers. But they'll get in. Maybe first, likely first, depends on the rest of their careers. Also Verlander fits here (who I forgot to add initially)

The eventually he'll have to 

Greinke

Stats are there and he feels like the type of pitcher that could go another 7 years on guile alone. If he does that he'll move up. Otherwise it'll be a situation where anyone you compare falls short of him and you got to let him in.

 

Also two other no-thought tiers

The catcher tier 

Posey, Molina

Catchers are a different species of player. These are two guys with different skill sets, Posey more the hitter, Molina more the defender, who were arguably the most important player through multiple titles. I'd bet they both get in 

The reliever tier

Chapman, Jansen

Who knows? The voters don't seem to have a good grasp on this yet - maybe in a decade when these guys come up they will 


OK for everyone else this list misses the important point of age. WAR is nice but age at current WAR is a better indicator.  Also pitchers and hitters are different.  So what I did was create an index that lists a low end and high end WAR guess for the age and compared it to each batter and pitcher. These indexes (the Dawson-Pujols and Mussina-Kershaw indeces to be precise) give us an idea of who is on track, who is technically close and who is a joke. 

On track batters

Everyone young (up to 25): Correa, Bellinger (surprised me but he did win an MVP last year at 23), Acuna, Soto and Tatis Jr.  Correa has his own issues with the cheating - we'll find out soon if that's what puts him on here.  There are some Nats fans I know that think the Acuna to Soto comparison is a joke. Soto is a much better hitter, Acuna is a better all around player but not enough to account for the bat difference as of now.  Ultimately though think of this as a Frank vs Mays type thing going on. Acuna may not be Soto but he's no joke so far. 

Lindor - and at his position this bodes well. 

Machado, Bryce, and Betts - Bryce and Manny aren't slouches but Mookie has blown by these guys in the last few years and he has the rings.  He has a real good chance.  Bryce and Manny though are solidly in line and if they stay healthy there is no reason to think they won't have favorable career numbers that get them in. 

On track pitchers

Cole - Being on the Yankees should help him rack up Ws. Some award and some titles though will go a long way or else he's got to keep doing what he's been doing for another whole decade

Technically close batters (within a couple great years of getting into the range)

Votto, Goldschmidt, Freeman, Rendon, Altuve, Stanton, Yelich, Ramirez, Bogaerts, Bregman, Seager

Some of these surprised me - Yelich really crushed it in 18-19 and never has had a bad year. And some are closer (Stanton) than others (Goldschmidt) but all have a chance.  Obviously the older you are the worse your chance. Sorry Votto. You might be the greatest walk machine of this generation but another couple years with your weakening bat and you won't have .400/.500 to fall back on. 

Technically close pitchers

Sale, Bieber, Buehler

Anyone young (Beiber and Buehler) and Sale who was on track until his 2019 Tommy John

Joke batters

Rizzo, Bryant, Story, Arenado

Come up Trevor Story? That's INSANE.  Rizzo and Bryant are two guys who have been good to very good consistently but little more. They'd need to have surprising career changes.  Trevor Story would have to bribe the voters. Trevor Story... HAHAHAHAHAH

 Arenado may be a different case because of his defense, but his offense isn't dominant. 

Joke pitchers? 

deGrom, Strasburg

I put the question mark there because you can in your head easily make a case for these guys being amont the best pitchers in baseball over the last 5 years. The problem is not quality but quantity. deGrom, who's 2 Cy Youngs are probably one away from forcing the issue, didn't have his first full season until he was 27.  Strasburg who has been a very good to great pitcher since showing up - W totals be damned, and who's post-season success demand he stay in the conversation - has two full seasons in his entire career. The back ends are going to make or break these cases.  If they fall apart now they just don't have enough to get in. If they can throw another full half-decade there will probably be too much great pitching to offset not enough good. This is not a good omen for Stras though currently out with an injury. 


Anyone they are leaving out? 

Bumgarner is the only one that definitely should be on this list. Wins are bad but has individual stats and post season heroics

Hamels has late career compiling potential (but he's not on a roster now so that may be it). Nola has a sneaky good start to his career. Maybe he turns a corner. 

Longoria is in that 3rd base hole where positionally he'll rank well but overall the numbers aren't great. He's never been bad though in 13 years. McCutchen needs to stay healthy and rack up numbers - but also has never been bad in a dozen year (and had some great years). I don't like either really but they aren't any worse list choices than Rizzo and Bryant. So I guess I'm saying leave them out)

Matt Chapman is better than Story. Not that he should be in here but he'd be a better choice


Conclusion

This list isn't TERRIBLE.  It could be pared down by cutting out Bieber, Buehler, Tatis Jr (too early) and Story, Rizzo and Bryant at least. 

Out of the remaining, really I'd say Betts, Bryce, Machado, and Lindor are solid bets and the starts from Acuna and Soto are so impressive you have to keep him in. Pitching wise it's like four coin flips in Cole, Sale, deGrom and Stras.

20 comments:

Treaples69 said...

Harper wouldn't you put Justin Verlander in the same list as Max. Feel like you forgot about him

Harper said...

Yes - I did forget him. He's in that tier

Anonymous said...

I have about a third of these guys with de minimis chances.

Locks: Trout, Pujols, Cabrera, Kershaw, Verlander
Probably in (~90%): Betts, Soto, Acuna, Posey, Molina, Scherzer, Greinke
Good chance (~50%): Harper, Machado, Tatis, Sale
Decent Chance (~25%): Lindor, Votto, Bellinger, Stanton, DeGrom
Outside Chance (~5%): Yelich, Bregman, Strasburg, Cole
Everyone else < 1%

(I have no idea what to do with relievers, so I just ignored them.)

Honestly, I'd take any top prospect or a well regarded rookie over the worst 5 names on this list. And I don't just mean Franco. Hell, I'd take Keiboom over Story or Rizzo and probably over Bryant and Goldschmidht. Not that any those those guys' careers wouldn't be an excellent and way above-expectation result for Keiboom. But at this point we don't know how good Keiboom will get - and with those other guys, we do know and it's some variation of "very good but not good enough for the HOF".


Harper said...

Anon - not me. The chances for a bust out of any of those prospects is too high (Kieboom especially) It's hard for me to take a top prospect / well regarded rookie over a solid player let alone one that can be in the conversation for the Hall of Fame (however strained that might be)

Way overestimating Acuna/Soto just because it's too early. You are probably underselling Bryce, Machado and Lindor but I'm not going to argue they need to be in the next group as you define them. That's too far a leap

Cautiously Pessimistic said...

I think Stras would have to have a Verlander like transformation to be in the conversation. He needs to bring that velo down and start mixing in the offspeed more if he wants to have a prayer of getting any durability out of his arm (and maybe drop the sinker, gotta think that's the elbow killer).

Thomas Yi said...

I'm Thomas Yi from the United States. I started playing lottery games 3 years ago and I have never won big. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr Amber who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr Amber who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this number +1 (406) 646-2222 or you can email him on: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

Melvin Martins said...

I'm Melvin Martins. from the United States. I started playing lottery games 7 years ago and I have never won big. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr John who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr John who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this number +1 (803) 820 2671 or you can email him on: Drjohnwinlotterspell@gmail.com .

LUNA QUEZADA said...

My wife of 4 years broke up with me because I was broke but I never told her I was playing the lottery because I wanted to surprise her whenever I win a huge amount. I was so heart broken and I decided to seek help from friends and family before I saw a post of RUTH BREEN about a man called LORD ZAKUZA saying how he helped her win a lottery worth ONE MILLION POUNDS. I contacted Lord Zakuza via WhatsApp  +1 740-573-9483 and explained my situation to him. He spoke to me like a father and told me he was going to prepare a spell for me to get my wife back and also give me numbers & where to play the lottery. I did everything he asked of me and within 48 hours, my wife came back to me seeking forgiveness and I was called 4 days after that I was the winner of 383 MILLION DOLLARS from the lottery I played. I have never seen such a miracle in my life. No matter what you are going through, there's always a solution. For more info, WhatsApp: +1 740-573-9483 or Email: lordzakuza7 @ gmail . com or visit his website: https://lordzakuzaspells.com

Albert Washington said...

Worry no more about how to win big in your lottery game for Dr Amber is able to give you sure winning numbers to win big on your lottery games for I am a winner of $360,000,000. WhatsApp him on +1 (318) 306-5044 or Email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com for more information.

Sarah VA said...

I have cried to my husband’s family to save our marriage at least for the sake of our kids. He is just fooled to have forsaken his family for a university girl, I am so depressed to the verge of committing suicide but when I look at my 7 years old son I just can’t anymore. Just 4 days ago my I was told they went to Bahamas for vacation when he is still being payment on his child support, I have sold my car just to keep paying the mortgage. I have given my all to my children and left with absolutely nothing but my breadth. My sister saw my condition when she came to see her nieces and Nephew, she forced me to contact, drjohnsoco@gmail.com, Since that moment my life has changed. I has just been 24 hours and guess what? I have my car back, my husband is back home, and left the stupid bitch in Bahamas. I have never seen anything work this fast in my entire 53 years of my life. My husband gave me his car, and drove me to court yesterday to renew our vow. I am so happy that my marriage is working again and things are back to normal in just 24 hours. My husband contacted me immediately the love dr Finished the spell. It was instantly. I am still in shock waiting to see how long this will last. But for now it feels like heaven, because my husband is right inside with me, just like we first met when I agreed to marry him. The love doctor said it is forever. I will keep testifying if this spells forever just like he guaranteed. Go get your lover back now......Email: drjohnsoco@gmail.com
CALL/WHATSAPP +44 7833 853025 ..

Ian Martin said...

Are you looking for ways to hit the lottery jackpot? Search no more for Dr Amber can help you win the lottery you want with his powerful lottery spell. Visit: https://amberlottotemple.com or WhatsApp +1 318 306 5044 or you can email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com to know more about his works.

Joyce Mason said...

My relationship was like hell, We fought almost everyday because of my boyfriend's cheating Habit, We have a child together but his cheating habit was breaking our relationship. I was emotionally heartbroken knowing that my boyfriend was cheating on me, my friend felt my pain and told me how Lord Bubuza used his spell to restore her broken relationship. I spoke to lord Bubuza for help on Text/call: +1 507 400-0072 and he said my boyfriend will come back begging on his knees after casting his spell, I did as he instructed and 16 hours after casting the spell my boyfriend came back crying and begging me on his knees to forgive him, lord Bubuza spell was so fast and active. He has stopped cheating and I am so safe with him now. Do you need help to win your ex back? Contact lord Bubuza via Text/call: +1 507 400-0072 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

Katie Edgar said...

Lord Bubuza has done it for me, His predictions are 100% correct, He is real and can perform miracles with his spell. I am overwhelmed because I just won 336,000, 000 million Euro from a lottery jackpot game with the lottery number lord Bubuza gave me. I contacted lord Bubuza for help to win a lottery via Text: +1 507 400-0072, he told me that a spell was required to be casted so that he can predict my winning, I provided his requirements for casting the spell and after casting the spell he gave the lottery numbers and a website where I played and won 336,000,000 euros. How can I thank this man enough? His spell is real and like a God on Earth. Thank you for changing my life with your lottery winning numbers. Do you need help to win a lottery too? contact lord Bubuza via Text/call: +1 507 400-0072 or e-mail: lordbubuzamiraclework @ hotmail . com

DEBORAH HARDWICK said...

My husband divorced me and went after his ex and left me heart broken for 2 years. I have been playing the lottery for some years before I got married and I have never won any big amount. I continued to play the lottery but I couldn't win more than $500 dollars until I was introduced to Dr Amber that is a strong Haiti spell caster. I had a chat with him via +18084815132 telling him what a mess my life has become. He encouraged and promised to get my man back for me and to help me win the lottery. There were specific instructions that was passed to me by him which I adhered to as he prepared the spell for me that brought back my husband within 36 hours and he gave me some sure numbers to play the lottery game. I used the numbers to play the lottery and I won $10,000,000 million dollars and all this happened within a week after I knew Dr Amber. It doesn't matter what you are going through in life Dr Amber is here to help. You can email him too via: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

samira said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free DIPLOMATIC PASSPORT US ,I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our TELEGRAM GROUP

Anonymous said...

This great powerful spiritual man restored my sorrow to happiness. My husband just woke up and decided our marriage was over. For a few months now, Roger and i have not been going well because he was having an affair with his assistant at work. I loved my husband so much and decided to stay and work on our marriage. In a short time, Roger stopped coming home and his close friend told me he has another apartment where he live with her. I was hurt and went on seeking for help because Roger was different from the man i married 10 years ago. Luckily, i found Dr Ilekhojie who promised to return my husband back to me. He performed a reconciliation spell which returned Rogers back and now we are both happy again with our boys. If you have issues like mine, send Dr Ilekhojie an Email (gethelp05@gmail.com) or contact him on Whatsapp/Viber (+2348147400259

Yvonne Sauve Of Barrie said...

I have been unlucky playing the Lottery over the years. I couldn't take the pain anymore and I searched for help online. I saw random positive reviews of DR AMBER saying how he has been helpful with his spells. I visited his webpage: ( amberlottotemple.com ) and he told me what was required to get what I seek for done and I accepted. He did a reading for me that made it clear to him that I was going to become a MEGA JACKPOT winner before he gave me the right numbers to play the Lottery. I had faith in him and I went back to the store a few days later to confirm if I had won. While the clerk was checking my ticket, I heard her say ‘Oh my God! I looked up and saw the Big Winner screen of $36,449,852.60. I was completely shocked, but calm. It feels amazing – I can’t imagine this shift in my life and I want to appreciate this man DR AMBER for his help. It’s not everybody that is naturally lucky to win the Lottery but the solution to win is DR AMBER. For more info, Call/Text/Telegram +1 808 481 5132 or E-mail: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

JNECIA MCCLENTON said...

AM really grateful and thankful for what Dr voodoo
has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/AIDS for good three years
with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and cause I was unable
to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one
faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great
man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he
cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him
today. if you need his help of you also want to get cured just the way I
got mine, add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719 or just contact Dr
voodoo via email, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

Joe Thwaite said...

I love playing the Lottery and I buy tickets every 2 weeks after I get paid. I never wanted to get greedy but I did want enough to live more comfortably. Generally, my luck is pretty terrible. I took a chance when I found a website called [ amberlottotemple.com ] that offers spells to help people. It was the best £415 Pounds I have ever spent! I had to save up for a couple of weeks to be able to afford the spell. I had the spell targeted towards the National Lottery. I heed to DR Amber instructions to buy the ticket after 3days and have faith that I would be the winner. I kept my faith very strong just as DR Amber told me to do. The next morning I got up and saw an email from the National Lottery saying, "Good news, you've won a prize". Today my wife and I are proud winners of £184,262,899.10 Million Pounds and we are here to appreciate DR Amber for his good deeds. Reach out to him by Email..... [ amberlottotemple@yahoo.com ].

Leah Gerics said...

It’s a privilege to share this to the world. You deserve all the praise that comes to you. DR Amber has been a blessing to me since our encounter on the internet. He alone knows it all. I love him so much for his kindness, care, honesty and his help in the life of everyone that has come in contact with him. If not for DR Amber how would I have been able to survive this hardship. His spell made me a LOTTO MAX winner of 60 Million Dollars making my whole life beautiful and amazing. The numbers he gave me to play the lottery was a life changing number from grass to grace and I want to say I’m forever grateful to him. Thank you sir for being a blessing to the helpless. Anyone reading this that needs help can communicate with DR Amber online for indeed he has no match. Website: amberlottotemple.com OR Email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com