Time for a quick look back at the Strasburg and Bryce trackers.
SO/BB - Goal 4.57, Kevin Slowey .
- Strasburg - 4.29. He has regressed a bit as his control remains merely good and not pinpoint as he has flashed before. As a commenter pointed out before though this really isn't a great stat to look at because super control pitchers will look really good here but if they don't K a lot of people they can be pretty mediocre pitchers (see Slowey, Kevin) so how about a new target that matches up better with success. Ok bye bye SO/BB hello K%-BB%
- Strasburg - 8%. If he keeps up the way he is I think he'll slip under Prior but we'll see. Stop walking anyone Steve.
- Strasburg - 139. No movement (the first look at this took into account his shutout start) but he should start gaining ground soon if he keeps that ERA under 2.50.
HRs - 61, Mel Ott.
- Bryce - 35. Again, he needed 39 to tie to start the year. Injuries have kept him to only 13 meaning he'll have to go off and hit 26 in the last 80 games. That's a tall order but still, I'm not going to bet against him. His current pace would have been for 46-47 homers so is a 53 pace for 80 games crazy?
- Bryce - 131. Again the injuries are going to cost him games and that will cost him influence over his career numbers. It's possible but tough. Another 26 homers would help.
Bryce has played 184 games in his career. Over his first two years Mike Trout played 179 games. Hey that's pretty close. We can compare that right? Without the whole "Well Mike Trout at this point blah blah blah"stuff people were saying when someone dare suggest Mike Trout might be better than Bryce.
Bryce : .274 / .351 / .504 35HR 20SB 82BB
Trout : .306 / .379 / .532 35HR 53SB 76BB
Edge Trout. This year Trout is hitting .315 / .392 / .545 so Bryce has gotta keep swinging if he wants to keep up. And before you go off, I'm not saying Bryce isn't going to be super awesome. He is. This is a Mays / Mantle comparison we got going here.
It's funny how Rendon's 18 fantastic games are how the guy really hits, and the 13 bad games are just a slump. He's a kid. He might hit .250 this year. It might have been just a super hot streak. I still think he'll be good (remember Pat Burrell that can field) but this is why we don't get ahead of ourselves.
I just said the Nats had a good fielding Pat Burrell, Mickey Mantle, and a non-injured Mark Prior all under 24 on their team and yet I have the feeling someone is out there upset I didn't say it was George Brett, Willie Mays, and that guy stinks why am I not talking about Jordan Zimmermann.