Nationals Baseball: Weekend thoughts

Friday, March 03, 2017

Weekend thoughts

David Price possibly going under the knife reminds us that every team, every one, is a balky elbow and a blown knee away from a lost season. There are some players that can't be replaced and for the Nats Max Scherzer is one of those players. We'll officially check up on him Monday, because that's what I said I'd do, but I can tell you I'll definitely be keeping my ears out for any news this weekend.  Personally I think this is the weekend that decides whether Max will start in that first rotation set - maybe not Opening Day but sometime during the first 5 games. I'm ok with him missing a week or two as staying healthy is the most important thing, but the sooner we get off this path the better.

Strasburg is set to start today. We haven't seen him really pitch since going out with injury toward the end of last year. He was presumably well enough to go in October so the stakes feel lower but let's get through today healthy, with normal speeds on his pitches before we officially let go of the held breath.

As for the stats? Somewhere in the next 3 days you are likely to see a "Look how good Solano is hitting!" Ignore this. Please.



5 comments:

Chas R said...

We get our first look at Zim today. I know these games are meaningless, especially this early, but Werth sure looked good at the plate yesterday.

PhthePhillies said...

Forget Solano. MAT is crushing the ball!
Yeah, I know...
Ignore this post. Please.

Fries said...

Good first outing by Stras, I'll take it

section 406 said...

So I'd love to know why MAT is so great in March and so awful the rest of the year. Is he only facing scrubs or guys "working on" their hanging curveballs or something? I mean, how is it he hits .500 every spring and can't hit the floor once the games count? It's a much larger (and consistent) disparity than I've ever seen.

PhthePhillies said...

@Section 406
I'm sure MAT would like to know why, too...
The upside for him is it'll probably keep him on the 25-man when he probably should not be there.