Nationals Baseball: The ChrisMarreroEra Part I comes to a close

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The ChrisMarreroEra Part I comes to a close

Marrero, who was likely gonna be the back-up first baseman next year because... well because
  • he is cheap,
  • he has seemingly topped out in the minors, and most importantly
  • he doesn't seem good enough that you care he isn't getting at bats, 

has gone down with a torn left hammy.  The Nats don't really have any in-house options (they actually care about Tyler Moore and want him hitting everyday).  Ladson's article notes Mark DeRosa as a back-up possibly since he can fill in at more than one position. That is true.  He can.  So can I.  Also true.  And while we're going over truths let's remark how DeRosa is too old to field any thing but the "bad fielding" positions (corner OF and 1B) with any sort of skill, yet at the same time is too old to hit well enough to be stuck in those positions.  Just noting.

But the choice of DeRosa wouldn't be in a vacuum.  Are there better choices out there?  Yes, but not many.  If you can convince Derek Lee that it's time to back-up I think he'd make an ideal one but he had a strong finish to 2011. Good enough to make him and some GM believe he can start all year somewhere.  The Nats would be served well with some lefty pop if Nix and Ankiel both don't return.  But Hinske and Giambi both took small contracts to stay with their teams.  Juan Miranda, maybe?  That would be more interesting to me than DeRosa but you can see we're at a point where you wouldn't fault the team for going with DeRosa. (a totally intriguing option would be Jorge Posada - but that would take convincing him he should never bat righty nor play catcher, and he should switch leagues, to a team that might not make the playoffs... so not gonna happen) 

Maybe you can sign a better bat and move them to first, I guess. But at that point you might as well re-sign Nix or Ankiel as a 4th OF and move Morse over to first if something happens

11 comments:

Wally said...

Who carries back up 1Bs any more? Morse has to be the fallback plan at 1B, no? Better off with a more versatile guy that can passably fill in at several positions - maybe Jose Lopez?

I just don't see Marrero as a starting MLB player, as sorry as I am for the kid to say that.

Harper said...

I think teams carry OF/1B or DH/1B - really just a bopper who has played the position sometime before. For the Nats though I think they have concern LaRoche might be in and out and I guess they'd rather have Morse stick in the OF because.. ummm... not sure. They love Tyler Moore? 2013 is a dead space for 1B free agents.

Anonymous said...

Robert Fick.

Harper said...

Wil Cordero?

Donald said...

I think the urgency of filling this role will depend on how LaRoche is progressing. If they are confident that he'll come back, Morse can play the backup. Can Flores or Lombardozzi play 1B in a pinch?

blovy8 said...

It's really not a bad idea at all, we are talking about third string basically unless there are some really bad outfielder choices keeping Morse out there if LaRoche is out any length of time. Maybe he doesn't hit .270 anymore, but there are lot worse guys around to give 200 plate appearances.

kick me in the GO NATS said...

I agree!

by the way, I am hearing rumors that Andrew McCutchen might be available for trade. That makes my heart flutter. He is the next Barry Bonds in my opinion (and I am probably not alone), so I would give up tons to get him in trade. The pirates would want a bunch of guys including legit pitching propects for him. Frankly, the only player I might package to trade to get him is Harper, unless it was straight up, then I would.

kick me in the GO NATS said...

I agree!

by the way, I am hearing rumors that Andrew McCutchen might be available for trade. That makes my heart flutter. He is the next Barry Bonds in my opinion (and I am probably not alone), so I would give up tons to get him in trade. The pirates would want a bunch of guys including legit pitching propects for him. Frankly, the only player I might not package to trade to get him is Harper, unless it was straight up, then I would.

calindc said...

Reminds me of the trailer for Moneyball. (completely copy/pasted from IMDB)

Scott Hatteberg: [Responding to being asked to play first base for the Oakland A's] I've only ever played catcher.

Billy Beane: It's not that hard, Scott. Tell him, Wash.

Ron Washington: It's incredibly hard.

Section 222 said...

I agree that the Nats should be concerned about LaRoche. The labrum surgery is not easy to come back from. Those who expect him to immediately return to his career power norms are smoking something. Don't think you need to sign a backup 1B though until Morse is moved permanently to that position, which could be as early as the trade deadline since LaRoche will be a FA. Better to have a 4th OF who can play 1B in pinch like Nix did last year.

Or sign Prince.

michael k said...

I agree 222. Signing someone who can only play 1st off the bench is a bit of a waste (which is also why Marrero isn't anyone to write home about) - better to get someone who can backup the corner outfield and play first in a pinch. Besides, if LaRoche just ends up failing (which is very possible), it makes the most sense to move Morse back to first and put a better fielding guy in Left than it does to put in a poor fielding 1B and leave in a poor fielding Left Fielder.