Nationals Baseball: The ring is the thing

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

The ring is the thing

The Nats gave up and gave out revealed rings in a virtual ceremony this weekend.  I can't find a link to it but if you care enough to watch it should be out there (and I say should in the - that's what the Nationals should do - put it out there).  They also played a home-made "season" documentary which you can watch on MLB.com.  

I put "season" in quotes because it's more a post-season documentary that uses the season for a little bit of set-up but hey, it's something.

Anyway here are the rings and they are... modern sports championship rings. That means they are overstuffed and overdesigned and diamonds are put in every empty spot. They are ugly but beautiful to those that matter at the same time. Some thoughts
  • The encircled Curly W was obviously meant to mimic the logo, and I guess using red, instead of silver (or platinum of whatever) for the circle would have looked gaudy* but why no red gemstones on the x-axis to represent the stars in the logo? 
  • The underside it the best part but I always question adding the series records on a ring.  No one cares who you beat or how you did it. IOW - bigger Baby Shark! 
  • "Go 1-0 everyday"? Sure.
  • Individualized DC side with name and number is nice
  • The trophy logo on side with a bit of Nats park is fine, but that makes two trophies on the ring which is one too many. Fight Finished is to me the better slogan and really only one slogan on the top of the ring is enough.  Other one should have been relegated to the underside. 
But again - this is a championship ring.  Complaining about it is like complaining about a Liberace outfit 


What about all the rest? If you are spending more than $50 on something here you are a different person than I am.

I will say a championship ring copy is something I'm not into. You weren't on the team. At the very least wait for the cheap in game promotion. It's why I celebrate the 1942 Cardinals.


Baseball is taking the first baby steps to reopening with a couple of voluntary workouts. The money issues seem to be working out (with a lot of deferred cash being the final answer).  Will we have a season?  I don't know but we might have a start of one?  Honestly we sit here and watch Korea and Germany and Japan - three countries that got the virus under control and we see if they can do it. If they can't there's no way we can.  If they can, well there's a chance. I'm not enthused though. We are acting as if we've got it under control when really we don't.


*yes, as if worrying about being gaudy was part of the thought process here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The players ended up voting against giving out the rings and they just showed what the rings look like instead of presenting them to the players so none given out yet

billyhacker said...

Sort of pertinent: birthday today and my wife got me the Nike blue Nats WS jersey. This thing is fantastic and is as close to needing my own ring as I am going to get.

Carl said...

The ring presentation (and the Kolko-hosted "after party") are available on the Nats' FB page.

This, by a Braves fan, is actually pretty hilarious:
https://twitter.com/handlit33/status/1265027840929673217

Nick said...

Am I being overly pessimistic here?

Owners rejected players latest offer and do not have a counterproposal. Apparently there is a "small" group of owners who feel like tanking the season is best for the bottom line. I wonder how small that group is. Season is over :-(. Guess this means the Nats go back to back......?

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.......

The Ghost of Ole Cole Henry (JDBrew) said...

That would be awful. One year older max and lose a year of Strasburg, Corbin, and Turner prime years. Sucks!

EleazarStark said...

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you're a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back in the future. I want to encourage continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!
mlb championship rings for sale