Nationals Baseball: A fool and his money...

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A fool and his money...

As you probably already know, Odalis Perez is signing with the Dodgers. The cost: 8 Mill a year for 3 years. This was a tad more than the $2.99 and 50 Bazooka bubble gum wrappers that Jim Bowden was attempting to get him for.

Not getting Odalis scares me and the reason has nothing to do with pitching. Bowden is now sitting around with dollar bills burning 4 million holes in his pockets. (yes, he has big pockets). The possibilites for him to screw things up become endless. I can see him siging a Shawn Estes type pitcher who will promptly slide right out of the rotation, or trading Nick Johnson to get back a middle reliever. I even have a nightmare where Bowden trades Johnson, Vidro, Brendan Harris, and Francis Beltran to the Cubs for Sammy Sosa. I am seeing this flying high above Wrigley Field but then I begin to fall, I reach for my parachute only to find I have only my underwear on! Scary!

I'm hoping he realizes that if there is nothing good available, then it's best to do nothing. I'm not all that confident.

No comments: