Nationals Baseball: Monday Quickie - Kiebert it is

Monday, August 30, 2021

Monday Quickie - Kiebert it is

 Looks like I was wrong.  Looks like Keibert Ruiz is going to be here NOW (like tonight) and Tres Barrera is down to AAA and I guess that's ok.  Personally I would have stuck to what I thought they were going to do. I think for sure the Nats are going to have Keibert as there starting C next year so why not use another 2 weeks to see more of Adams and Barrera at the major league level? I guess though they thought they had seen enough of Barrera. 

KID UPDATE

Carter Kieboom .095 / .240 / .143  (.226 / .333 / .368)   2 hits in a week will do that to you.  We can probably officially put the "just needed some uninterrupted low-pressure playing time" theory to bed and go back to "needs fixing"

Luis Garcia .217 / .250 / .304 (.208 / .258 / .350)  Not a good week for Garcia as well.  The trends are down. You know what that means? Buy low! Get your "I still like Garcia" merch here! Move up to a better seat on the bandwagon!

Tres Barrera .333 / .500 / .667 (.264 / .374 / .385)  - got his half time games in and hit a bunch and got sent down so... I don't know.  If I wanted to overthink it I'd say they sent him down so he didn't KEEP hitting and thus make some people question using Ruiz at all if Ruiz didn't hit this year and in Spring.  But for that to actually be correct Adams would also still have to be super hot...

Riley Adams .400 / .538 / .500 (.254 / .346 / .423) - He is! The week's SLG isn't that good - it's only high because they average was. So more homers please!

Lane Thomas .130 / .167 / .217  (.198 / .324 / .279) -Huh.  You see what happened was Lane Thomas started super hot (see last week's update) then he had a nice game against the Mets on Saturday and you though "Oh they are mentioning him again. I bet he's kept doing real well" Except no. In all the other games last week he had 1 single in 19 ABs. Also 7 Ks and 1 walks. So a bad week. One more of these and his Nats stats will reflect that and you might not hear about him again the rest of the season. 


Josiah Gray - 1 start 3.00 ERA 1.33 WHIP 10.5 K/9 (3.75, 1.194 WHIP, 10.5 K/9)  A good start from a decent Miami team. He'll pitch twice this week starting tonight in an interesting game. The Phillies offense is ok.  Losing Hoskins hurts but they can hit a homer and have a real strong top part of the line-up. More importantly the Phillies have seen Gray now once. Let's see if twice makes a difference. The Braves in their second time did more damage.

Mason Thompson - 3.2 IP, 2.45 ERA, 4.6 WHIP, 7.4 K/9 (13.2IP, 3.290ERA, 1.8 WHIP, 7.2 K/9)  I like to think of this as the best Mason can do.  When he's in control (no walks this week) then it doesn't matter that he's hittable and can't strike people out. He's useful.

Gabe Klobosits - AAA

8 comments:

Kevin Rusch said...

You could find a way to make the 1927 Yankees look like a bunch of idiots who'd be lucky to win 40 games. Of course, all of the 1927 Yankees are dead, but you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Yadiel! (I know you didn't forget...)

22 PAs of .238 / .273 / .476 (94 wRC+) bringing his season to 194 PAs of .291/.351/.451 (113 wRC+)

So, fine for a bench player but disappointing for a starting corner outfielder. Nicely confirming most of our priors.

Also, I agree with you on Ruiz. Give those two more time, and if they keep playing well, you can turn Adams into a 1B in the offseason, or deal one of them. I guess maybe, if that's already the plan and you already have enough faith in Tres's defense that he's definitely the number two guy behind Ruiz next year and the question is just how to get value for Adams, then getting Ruiz some major league experience (and experience working with our pitchers) doesn't cost anything.

Anonymous said...

This move didn't make sense to me either at first. Not just because of how the reps between AAA and the MLB team get split but also because I thought part of the strategy was to build great rapport between Ruiz and Cavalli/Romero in time for next season.

But judging by the MASN story I don't think any of us considered how much importance they put on Henry Blanco teaching the position. I guess any negatives from bringing Ruiz up too early are offset by having Blanco work with him every day. Which actually makes good sense.

Can we get rid of Sam Clay yet?

Harper said...

Kevin Rusch - I keep saying this (in the comments) I like Gray. I don't think there's an ace there but he should be a rotation mainstay for as long as he's here. I still would also still bet on Garcia. I also like Ruiz and am excited to see how he plays even if it's just a month.


A month to learn how to play C Defense. I guess. Honestly it doesn't matter too much. I think they've already made up their minds on what they want to do with the three (might be trading Adams, letting Barrera back-up) so they are just playing that out.

SM said...

I suspect the call-up is Rizzo's desire to put some giddy-up on the rebuild, to lean on the fast-forward button.

Rizzo's current contract extension ends in 2023, and I think he's determined to push the team at least to the brink of contention by then. If he sees light at the end of the tunnel, he'll ask for (and get) another extension. If not, then it's adios Nats, been nice to know ya.

Anonymous said...

Can PRIEST OSAS pitch?

PotomacFan said...

Can PRIEST OSAS help bring Max back?

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/