Nationals Baseball: The Nats aren't internationally known

Friday, August 13, 2021

The Nats aren't internationally known

We often use the term "lottery ticket" to refer to different things - later round draft picks, trade pieces that are low minor guys with lots of talents and lots of problems - but really international signings are the true baseball lottery tickets. If you look over the years of signings maybe one of the top two guys becomes a star and after that... hoo boy it's a mess. You pay a lot - as much as some first round draft picks* - but because you are looking at much younger players the variability of what you get is all over the place. 

Take 2015.  People loved Vladdy Jr. He ended up getting the 4th most money.  The guys who got more money Yadier Alvarez, Lucious Fox, and Jhailyn Ortiz.  Names sound familiar? They shouldn't. They aren't big time prospects anymore. Hell, Alvarez is out of baseball entirely. You know who signed that year as well? Juan Soto.  He was a highly touted prospect but I can name a handful that signed for more and went nowhere. Anyway the point is - these are true lottery tickets. You put in a lot of money and the likelihood is you will get nothing but you gotta go in because when you do hit... well Vlad Jr and Juan Soto!

Early on the Nats were hesitant to sign internationally, with good reason though. Their first major signing you might remember was Smiley Gonzalez, the super young hot prospect SS, who was actually a guy years older named Carlos Lugo. Around the same time Bowden, and especially Jose Rijo got caught doing some shady stuff in the Dominican Republic. The minor league system had to be completely remade and it's hard to spend money when you can't trust what's in place yet.

For a few years the organization did little then it started to follow an interesting pattern. It would spend some money going after a going they really liked, then back off for a few years. This had some to do with the way MLB balanced signings - you got less $ if you did well, if you signed a lot of guys you had some tax and big signing restrictions penalties - but it was also the sign of a hesitant team wading back into international waters so to speak. Also, it kind of makes sense, in my opinion. The guys that hit are usually the best prospects so you gotta get one of them but you can't get them every year. Baseball makes sure of it.

In 2010 they team tried to go all in on Yuneksy Maya (major league deal 4yrs/6mill) and threw tiny money at a ton of players. In 2013 they went after and got Robles and Anderson Franco, though neither cost that much. In 2015 they went and got Juan Soto, who was a well regarded prospect, and in 2016 they spend a ton to get Yasel Antuna, Luis Garcia and Yadiel Hernandez. These were not the dollars that other teams spent on the top prospects - which got fairly ridiculous and basically the teams forced baseball to stop themselves with a new hard cap rule - but it was significant especially considering how tiny the spending was in previous years.

In 2010 the quantity approach got them Difo and Rafeal Martin. 2011 got then Pedro Severino, Rafeal Bautista and Raudy Read and in 2012 they found Reynaldo Lopez. 

All in all the early years 2010-2012 didn't quite work out, but they did manage to get some organizational depths and some fringy prospects to deal and provide minimal production down the road. 2013 and 2015 were obviously better years, they nearly hit a jackpot in Robles and did with Soto. These guys are all the pieces that helped make the Nats what they were. As for who they are now, well guys signed in 2014-2016 should be coming up and helping now and guys signed in 2017 and 2018 should be some of the Nats big time prospects. But we don't have that.

It started in 2014. That year was a complete wash and while they got Soto the next year and you don't turn that down, they got nothing else. To counter this drop going in on 2016 wasn't a bad idea, especially if you consider how the draft hadn't been very kind to them recently and with good records expected at least for a few more years they weren't likely to have any obvious great players fall into their laps.  Plus they could see spending changes on the horizon. It's hard to go all-in with a cap. So this idea was good but the execution failed. They didn't produce any guys who could help the team quick enough to halt the slide, nor any slow building big time prospects.  Luis Garcia is probably the best one and might end up being pretty good but he's a fringy Top 100 type. Worse by going all in on 2016 they kept themselves out of 2017 and 2018 best targets due to the singing rules.

I have the hardest time seeing anything wrong though with what they've done here. This was more bad timing than anything. Like I said, these are lottery tickets, the Nats hit a string of bad luck getting depth then went all in at their last opportunity, knowing they needed to to help fix a problem, and crapped out. Sure scouting matters and they could have done better, but any look at the international signees in any year makes it clear that this outcome is easily possible. 2016 itself seemed to be a little off year in terms of talent making it even harder. 

It was the final pieces of the puzzle though. The draft misses and the trades out emptied the Nats out. The international draft couldn't fix that. They'd have to sign FAs and they finally missed on some. The outcome of all that is going from a consistent division winner to an under .500 team. If they had held on any a fire sale might not have happened, but it didn't happen. So here we are. New team, young players, and a future that is at least a year away.

*more for a few years but the people in charge "fixed" that

15 comments:

Ollie said...

So here's a hypothetical--if Rizzo doesn't blow up the team at the trade deadline are they in contention for the division? I still think he was right to pull the plug when he did but the teams up top all feel imminently catchable.

SM said...

The Dodgers and Blue Jays have been fishing in Caribbean (especially Dominican Republic) waters for decades, and have hauled in arguably more prospects over that time than any other organization. Mind you, they've cast wide nets and the big ones are only a small percentage of the total catch. But as Napoleon said, sometimes quantity is quality.

It's Boston, though, that's been most aggressive (and successful) recently, principally because David Ortiz and Pedro Martinez are the face(s) of Boston's recruiting efforts. As far as I know, Smiley Gonzalez has yet to become a recruiting magnet for the Nats.

Every big league club now has a baseball academy in the Dominican. But the teams who succeed in signing the greatest number of international future stars are those who have learned--often the hard way--to distinguish between the thoroughly corrupt and the moderately corrupt flesh-peddling buscones.

And by the way--yes, the MLB draft may not have been kind to the Nats in recent years. Then again, the Nats haven't been kind to the draft, either.

Nattydread said...

If you continue with the Talking Heads references, then the other relevant song is "Burning Down the House". We've gone 1 and 9 since the deadline and it looks like Rizzo is intentionally piling up the losses to get those draft picks. We've really put some stinker AAAA line-ups out there, throwing them against the wall to see what sticks.

What Harper has underlined in this piece is how much we've come to rely on the international pick-ups. Even if its a lottery, it seems as if the Nats have more than their share of internationals --- is this right?

Cautiously Pessimistic said...

@Ollie, I think the answer is absolutely yes, the Nats could have been in contention. The NL East is mediocre and it just takes one hot streak to get back in it. Look at the Nats' June, they were right in the thick of it.

But then they collapsed in July, so you have to make the decision before it's too late of selling vs buying vs holding. Because the NL East is garbage, even if you do win the division, you're likely going to lose in the playoffs against one of the three NL West teams. So why bother? Sell off, get some prospects, and lose some games to get a better draft position. Especially as you watched your mediocre competitors in NY, ATL, and PHI turn into buyers, weakening their futures in the process

Unknown said...

Whichever NL East contender plays the most games against the Nats the rest of the way wins the division!

SM said...

But only if the draft is kind to the Nats next year, @CP.

Barney said...

Rizzo has his weaknesses. The bullpen comes to mind and, clearly, the minors. He'd rather spend a lot on big-time starters.
So, now I'll throw out a Moneyball/SABR question: are the scouts still in charge of the Nats, whiffing year after year on prospects, international and US-based, or have stats come up to a par with the guys thinking with their guts? Who's responsible for the current mess, or is no one responsible, as this is what happens when you're successful for years?
It'd be nice to have a deep-throat in the Nats organization who could tell us if the scouts are running this disaster.

billyhacker said...

We know that the Nats have the smallest (it's a tie) quant staff in all of baseball. In some forum, someone pointed out that some teams contract out the Saber stuff so maybe they get their insights there. BUT, the Nats also have the smallest coaching squad in the majors (maybe bottom three). Giants are #1 in both apparently.

Kevin Rusch said...

I'd heard that the Rockies fired their only quant during 2020.

Personally, I feel like stats are extremely important, in that by hiring a handful of very bright people who can look for (and sometimes find) real insights, you can beat the other guys. But scouts who know stats are the thing you really need. I'm really good at math, but I can't tell the difference between a high school kid with a 95mph fastball who'll make it, and one who just throws hard but has no future. Scouts can do that, especially using repeatable methods (which I just don't know.) They're cheap, and there's a clear correlation between having more scouts and having a better farm system.

Kevin Rusch said...

@Pessimistic - I think you're right - the Nats could have picked up a guy or two and been walloped by whomever they encountered in the playoffs. If you're the WFT and you've sucked for decades, take it and celebrate. If you're serious about winning the trophies, you have to realize that being that "meh good" means you never make it. You're always trying to make do with mediocre draft picks, hoping a guy like Lester works out, and so on. Might as well go big and completely restart.

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

John Wallman said...

I am a retired construction manager, my name is John Wallman. After retirement I started playing the lotto game but winning became a problem so I started researching online when I saw how people testified about lord Bubuza a great Psychic who has helped so many win the lotto game with his spell. I contacted him and told him how unlucky I was in my lotto games. Lord Bubuza said he will help me win the lottery game by casting a spell and revealing the right lottery winning numbers to me, I did as he instructed and the spell was casted. He gave me the lottery numbers and instructed me to play the game. It was like a dream when I got a notification from the national lottery app about my win, I called the lottery phone numbers and they confirmed to me that I won £1,000,000 pounds. I just couldn’t hold my joyous tears because I have payed the lotto game for long without luck but after playing with the numbers lord Bubuza game me I became a millionaire. All thanks to lord Bubuza, He is a great Psychic and testifying about you is my little way to appreciate you sir. His info: WhatsApp: +1 951 442 2214 or call: +1 507 400 0072 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework @ hotmail . com

D Chicas said...

LOTTERY WINNING SPELL THAT WORK WITHIN 24 HOURS. Contact Lord Bubuza via website: Lordbubuzamiraclework.com or email: Lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

Leah Murdoch-Gerics said...

If not for Lord Bubuza where would I have been today? I am a proud winner of the $60 million jackpot in the April 19, 2022, Lotto Max draw, after Lord Bubuza gave me the lottery number which I played and won. His Lottery spell is real. He reveals lottery numbers after casting a spell. Join me appreciate him via email: Lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com or website: Lordbubuzamiraclework.com

Flores Morales said...

Hello folks, I want to share my story of how I met Dr Amber who helped me win the lottery. Before I met him, life was hard for me. I love playing the lottery but I lost all my money to it. I became suicidal because I owe the bank lots of money. So, I went on the internet about how I can win the lottery and I got good advocacy about Dr Amber and his work. I got in touch with him and I told him what I’ve been through and he assured me that he will help me. I was a bit scared but I said ok. Dr Amber made a spell for me that cost me some money to get it done and I was given some accurate digits by him to play the lottery on my next game which I did as instructed by him. I was astonished when I got announced as the winner of $109 million dollars on the Mega Millions Lottery I played. I am grateful to Dr Amber for Indeed, he deserves the hype he gets from people. You can email him or visit his webpage on how to get yours done. Email: amberlottotemple@gmail.com or visit: amberlottotemple.com